Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wedding Quilt #2

One of my best friends is getting married and I'm so happy for him! Robert has been one of those special people in my life since college and I will be forever grateful for his love and support over the years. So when I heard he'd found "the guy" to marry, I wanted to do something special for them both.

Robert and me, a long long time ago.
So I created their wedding quilt. I used a "disappearing 9-patch" pattern (D9P) in purples and black/charcoal.

I kicked this pattern around several times but in the end I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Check below the jump for the full tutorial.

This pattern was made using disappearing 9-patch where 9 blocks are sewn together and then cut apart and rearranged. For this I used the purple batik as the corner focus fabric, the black/charcoal as the insides and the purple print for the center. You then cut the blocks in a "plus" pattern across each axis.

Here's what that looks like in real life.

I also kicked around several different layouts, ultimately picking one on the advice of several friends.

In the end, I decided on option #2, which is the top right in this photo. Then I added a strip of black/purple to the left side and added a strip of batik borders to give it a bit more drop on the sides.

What the pattern looks like and checking size
Then it was off to the long-arm! I have a fabulous long-arm quilter and she did a beautiful job with an all-over loop pattern. While the quilt was out I went to create the label. The label is just fabric ironed to freezer paper and then run through a printer. 

I darkened the lines with a permanent fabric marker (autograph pen) and sewed some strips on the edges to contrast it, set it in the corner and bound it in! Voila!

This wasn't a fast process but I'm so glad I was able to make it for my friends and I can't wait to see them get married later this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment