Sunday, March 4, 2012

Snack Crack Caramel Corn

I am a sucker for sweets and this popcorn is snack crack in my book. I love the caramel corn that comes in the tins over the holidays and remember my excitement seeing it over the years. There's something about the lightly crunchy caramel shell over soft popcorn that gets me every time. When I saw this recipe from King Arthur Flour, I knew I had to try it. I've made it twice (in a week) with some adaptations. Don't be freaked out by the candy making process, this recipe's really forgiving. It's awesome and will be in my arsenal for a long time coming.

Snack Crack Caramel Corn
15 servings

3/4 c. popcorn kernels- air popped (12-15 c. popcorn)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) salted butter
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1 tbs dark corn syrup
1 tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 200 degrees
Line a roasting pan with parchment paper and transfer popcorn into roaster, culling out as many unpopped kernels as you can find
In a large sauce pan begin to melt the butter
When butter has just melted add sugar, syrups and honey. Stir just until sugar has melted an is no longer grainy.
Let syrup mixture boil undisturbed over medium/medium-high heat until it reaches 260 degrees or hard ball stage (about 5-6 minutes)
Quickly add vanilla and stir, then baking soda and stir. Mixture will foam.
Pour over popcorn and mix to coat.
Place roasting pan in the oven for 1 hour, mixing every 15-20 minutes to ensure even coverage and break up clumps.
Store airtight for up to a week (if it lasts that long!)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment