Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tortillas and Tortilla Chips

Oh my goodness! I've been wanting to make tortillas ever since Rick Bayless on PBS did them on one of his cooking show episodes. This weekend gave me the perfect opportunity to try them out.  Let me just say, they were awesome! Even more awesome was when America's Test Kitchen (who I LOVE!) posted a pinterest recipe for the perfect home-made tortilla chips. These are so tasty and hearty. I don't think I'll ever have to buy tortilla's again if I remember to make these!



Flour Tortillas
12 servings
12 oz (2 3/4 c.) flour
5 tbs lard or shortening (I used shortening)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 c. hot water

Cut the shortening into the flour and salt until no large chunks of shortening remain.
Add hot water to form a dough and knead briefly to incorporate flour in the bowl
Divide dough into 12 portions and let dough balls rest for 30 minutes


Roll dough into a 7 inch circle on a floured counter or sheet.
Place in a heated skillet or griddle until the bottom develops brown spots, 30-45 seconds.
Flip and cook the other side.
Place on a plate to cool. Cover with plastic wrap to store. Store in refridgerator for up to a week or 2-3 days at room temp.

If you're making chips, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Cut each tortilla into 6 triangles and lay on a rack inside a cookie sheet
Spray with oil and salt to taste
Bake for 15 minutes until golden and crispy.



          

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment