Saturday, February 25, 2012

Brunch Chocolate Chip Scones

I have a confession. I've never made scones before. I have a friend who makes the most amazing cran-orange scones and I covet those but I have never made any myself...until now. I found a recipe on Pinterest and decided I'd throw these together but, life being what it is, I didn't have the whole wheat flour called for. I did have garbanzo bean flour and did a little research on substitutions and wapow!  Only it didn't work. Don't misunderstand. They tasted great, they just weren't scones, instead something between breakfast bread and muffin.




The recipe I started with is Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones at Skinnytaste. Here's my version for now but I need to make them as written next time, hopefully with better results.

Values from Sparkpeople.com

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
12 servings
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbs. cold butter- cut into small pieces
1.1/2 c. AP flour (192 g)
7/8 c. garbanzo bean flour (75 g)
1/4 c. flour for kneading
2 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. chocolate chips
1 egg white
1 tbs sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a pan with Parchment paper or baking mat
Mix first 4 ingredients, set aside
Mix dry ingredients together
Cut butter into dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or fork.
Add milk mixture and stir well to incorporate all the flour. Add AP flour as needed to form a soft dough
Add chocolate chips
Knead briefly with floured hands
Create a 9" round on your baking sheet. Cut into 12 pieces with a pizza cutter
Brush egg white over the top and sprinkle with sugar
Bake 18-20 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment